Does Insulin taken orally cause headache?

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: i suspect insulin has been injected in food i have been eating
I get severe headaches and fall asleep, coma type
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
INSULIN doesn't act orally.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Insulin cannot act orally. It has to be taken by subcutaneous injections only to make a action.
I don't suspect insulin to be the cause of your head ache and drowsy. Are you suffering from any other illness or having any medication which might be the cause?

Any query do get back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Nagamani Ng 35 hours later
Thanks so much for your answer to my Question. I am not on any meds. however i do not sleep very well at nights so i will seek further medical for this issue.
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
medicine not needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

If medically your health is well with no other issues then need not worry about sleep. Usually no doctor will prescribe a medicine for only disturbance in sleep. I suggest you to follow these simple modifications at night times to get good sleep.

1) have a hot shower before bed time.
2) use your bed only to sleep, not for other activities like reading, eating etc..
3) eat food 1 or 2 hours before bed.
4) have a glass of milk if possible with crushed XXXXXXX seeds for few days which will give you good sleep.
5)induce physical activity in day time.
6) limit day time naps.
7) manage stress, don't think of your problems before sleep. divert it by reading a book or novel.
8) set you bed time routine.

If still having difficulty in sleeping then get examined by a doctor to rule out underlying cause.