Does Imodium interact with Sulfamethoxazole?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been having constant diarrhea. I have a colonoscopy and the upper scope apt for Sept 21st. But the diarrhea has made it difficult to get to work on time in the morning. So I started taking Imodium and then my doctor just prescribed me Sulfamethoxazole for an infection I have. Are these safe to take together?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
You can take them together. But the use of immodium is just to control diarrhoea, so if diarrhoea stopped, you better not take it.
You can continue sulphmethoxazole. I would also suggest Lactobacillus spores to replace lost Bacteria which are useful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad