Does IUI have adverse effect on the body?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2014
Mar 2014
Question
i am tryng from lat 1.5 yr and pco and my huband has extual problem as well .doctor has suggeted me for IUI is that right option .is IUI harm to body .if IUI not got successfull then there is nay chnace to conceive normally.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I understand that you have PCO and are trying for pregnancy.

First let me explain the problem for conception during PCO and also the solutions.

PCO is caused by hormonal imbalances in the ovary as well as the body. This leads to problems in release of the female egg during the ovulation phase and so as there is no egg, sperms cannot fertilize them and pregnancy cannot occur. Sometimes ovulation does occur but hormonal imbalances lead to problems with attachment of the baby to the uterus [ implantation in medical terms] and again infertility results.

The mainstay of treatment is weight loss and use of sugar lowering drugs like metformin. Drugs to stimulate egg release like clomiphene are also used. However the egg releasing drugs cannot be used forever. They act best in the first 2-3 months and after that their effect decreses. So IUI is done so as to ensure that the sperms are inserted around the time of egg release and so increase the chance of conception.

About IUI:

After ovulation stimulating drugs, serial ultrsound scans are done to see when the egg is likely to be released. At the optimal time an injection to help release egg [ HCG] is given and then after about 12-36 hours IUI is done. In IUI, the husbands semen is prepared so that only the good quality sperms are present in the specimen. They are then directly instilled inside the uterus. In this way if the cervix is causing infertility or there are problems with proper sperm deposition or if the sperms are weak and cannot swim up properly all these issues are overcome.

IUI is not successful everytime. In fact only 20-30% will have pregnancy depending upon the cause of infertility and also the center doing it.

The chance to conceive normally will not be affected by this procedure and it will remain as it is now for you. So it will not affect your basic current fertility. So please do not worry about this at all.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist

Follow-up: Does IUI have adverse effect on the body? 1 hour later
Hi doctor
thank you for reply .I any case if iui not successful after 3-4 cycle then it is posible to have another 3-4 iui cycle after some month.

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not recommended.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Your question is very relevant.

The answer lies in the fact as to how things span out during the cycles and what are other associated issues like sperm or ovum repsonses etc. Sometimes a laproscopy may be needed, sometimes it may go to test tube baby even and sometimes women conceive by themselves.

We do not advocate a lot of IUI's as they are more likely to fail if they failed once.

So the decision is taken entirely by the doctor based upon the responses and the doctors judgement about future chances.

I suggest that you see a good infertility specialist who will help you out. Tests for tubes, cervical mucus, laproscopy and so many options are there that can be done based upon the doctors judgement.

So do not worry about it. Just go for the IUI with a very positive mind frame as stress produces hostile hormones that affect fertility.

All my good wishes are with you.

I am always here to help you.

Dr Madhuri

Follow-up: Does IUI have adverse effect on the body? 22 hours later
Dear Doctor
Thank you for your positive response doctor .Yesterday we had completed IUI and i want to ask you there i any medicine available could help in implantation. Beacause
earlier two times 7 days and 4 days was over period and result was weakly positive but ultimately it result period.
so can we do anything if result got positive once it would converted into baby not period.

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome back,

We recommend use of progesterone after an IUI to help in implantation. Drugs like duphaston or micronised progesterone are commonly used and your doctor may have already prescribed them. If not then ask her for these drugs.

Also do not get stressed as stress creates negative hormones upsetting the balance. So just hope for the best and it will happen.

Dr Madhuri