Does IM injection Paliperidone Palmitate lose potency if stored in room temperature?

Psychiatrist
Question
Does IM injection Paliperidone Palmitate (Invega Sustenna) lose potency or become unsafe if it has been stored in a place far above room temperature for a few weeks?
Posted Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it will be potent same as before

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
This is Dr.Chintan Solanki.

I am from XXXXXXX XXXXXXX where temperature remain around 40° celcius. We here generally keep invega sustena in some cupboard at this temperature.

It must not be stored in freeze.

So you can use your injection if it is before expiry date.

I have also confirmed this issue with company's representative also before.

Hope, I have answered your query.
If still any confusion, late me know.
Thanks & Regards.

Follow-up: Does IM injection Paliperidone Palmitate lose potency if stored in room temperature? 14 minutes later
What about if the temperature was 70°-90° celcius?

And why can't it be freezed?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Then it should not be used.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Any drug if kept at this temperature for long, it loses its chemical structure and so its ability to produce the effect it is being used for.
So you should not use if it stored for weeks at 70-90° C.
And for freezing same principle apply.
We got the instruction that it should not be kept in freezer.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Does IM injection Paliperidone Palmitate lose potency if stored in room temperature? 47 minutes later
What I want to know is: would it become in any way unsafe/harmful?

What about it being freezed? Unsafe/harmful?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be.

Detailed Answer:

Yes it can be harmful and some adverse reaction may take place as chemical property is changed and that's why pharmacological profile also changed.
So something wrong can happen with that. So better to avoid it.
Freezing will make it lose its potency and it will not be effective.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Does IM injection Paliperidone Palmitate lose potency if stored in room temperature? 49 minutes later
What I understand from your message is: high temperatures will make this medicine lose potency as well as make it unsafe. And freezing will make it lose potency, but it will still be safe.

Am I correct?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes but it is specifically true for invega

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Yes you understand correct for inveha sustena as it is availble in pre filled syringe.
For other medicines either oral or injection it may be true but we have to look foe the medicine specifically.
Normally no medicne stored at high temperature but few require to store at low temperature and maintaind cold chain from its production to given to the patient.
Thanks & all the best.