Does IDD therapy help to cure diffuse disc bulge of lumber spine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Doctor,

Do IDD therapy helps to cure Diffuse Disc bulge of lumber spine in L3-L4 level? My mother is suffering from moderate lower back pain for more than 3 months, and getting leg numbness.

Thanks,
XXXX
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
IDD surgery is useful.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your mother's symptoms and MRI spine findings.

Disc disease in the lumbar region is responsible for her symptoms.

In the initial phase, medications such as gabapentin or pregabalin capsules and physiotherapy would be helpful.

However, if the medications/physiotherapy fail or if the nerve compression is severe, surgery may be needed.

IDD surgery is useful in most cases of severe disc disease.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: Does IDD therapy help to cure diffuse disc bulge of lumber spine? 12 hours later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX

Just wanted to double check you mean the IDD therapy (Intervertebral Differential Dynamics). You have mentioned that as IDD surgery.

And, on top of medications, can we try IDD therapy in parallel?

FYI, at this point, the pain is moderate (may be 4 in the scale of 0-10) and manageable. The numbness in the leg is bit concerning.

Thanks,
XXXX

Brief Answer:
It is intervertebral differential dynamics

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back with more details.

I meant Intervertebral Differential Dynamics. Instead of procedure, I wrote surgery.

Yes, you can try IDD on top of medications.

There is no need of disc surgery at this point, as your pain is mild-moderate severity.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)