Does I-pill provide protection against pregnancy when taken before having sex?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Birth Control
Question: Will i pill still be effective if there has been another sexual intercourse 5-6 hours after taking the first pill or is it recommendable to take another pill?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE ADVICE.

Detailed Answer:

I-pill gives protection more than 95% against unwanted pregnancy if it is taken within first 24 hrs. Theoretically, it will be effective for next 72 hrs.

However, you can take another pill following 2nd time intercourse for safety. It depends on your fertile days or ovulation day. If you did SAFE sex, there is NO need to take additional pill.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr S Patra

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
If the last menstrual period was from 19-23th XXXXXXX and there has been a sexual intercourse on 9th July, does it fall within the fertile days?if so, what are the chances of getting pregnant if one doesn't take an additional pill after the first emergency contraceptive pill?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

1) 9th July is relatively SAFE according to your last menstrual period date. If you took I-pill within first 24 hrs of unprotected sex, then you will be protected more than 95% against unwanted pregnancy.

2) In this case, chance will be less than 1%. You should wait for next coming period and undergo one home pregnancy test if it delays more than 1 week.

Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion.

Good luck and all the best.

Dr S Patra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 46 minutes later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
MOST WELCOME.

Detailed Answer:
Most welcome in this platform.

Kindly, close the discussion.

Dr S Patra