Does Hydrogen Peroxide mouth wash cause white coating on tongue?

Dr. Priyanka Tiwari

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi you doing my name is XXXXXXX and ive been using hydrogen peroxide to rinse out my mouth for some time now.its been 2 to 3 yrs and i notice that my tongue has a white coat on it that gives me dry mouth.ive been going to the dentist and they having really been giving me any answers.one dentist said it could be the ventilation in the house and me sleeping with my mouth open thats causing it so i needed to buy a vapor,and another told me to crew on sugar free lemon head candy to help with the dry mouth but i just don't know what to do anymore and i pray that its not a permanent issue i just wanted to know can this be because of using hydrogen peroxide to rinse my mouth?and if so is there a cure for it?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be Oral Candidiasis.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for consulting Healthcare magic .

This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query.

Read your query, as you have dry mouth , white coat on tongue dont worry XXXXXXX it is not a permanent issue Dry mouth and white coat on tongue can be due to Oral candidiasis, commonly called as Oral thrush. Oral thrush is an infection in mouth caused by Candida fungus also called as yeast.
Oral thrush can be due some factor like immunodeficiency , Dry mouth , Diet (malnutrition , vitamin B 12deficiency , folic acid ) , Drug induced , Medical condition like diabetes , Hormonal changes , Stress induced .

In this circumstances I would suggest you to try these steps :
- Maintain proper oral hygiene ( brush your teeth twice daily )
- Dont use hydrogen peroxide as regular mouthwash , you can use mouthwash like Chlorhexidine for regular use .
- Use only tongue scaper to clean your tongue .
- Do warm saline rinses.
-You can apply ointment like Candid gel on tongue by consulting with your dentist .
- You can take Antifungal drug like Nystatin by consulting with your doctor.
- For dry mouth drink water , use sugar free chewing gum to increase saliva production .

If symptoms persists despite the aforementioned visit a doctor to rule out the infection .

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have further query I will be happy to help .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 4 hours later
thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
welcome again

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX ,

My pleasure to answer your query, if you have further query I will be happy to help.

If you dont want further clarification you can close the discussion and rate the answer .

Thanks ,

Dr. Priyanka tiwari
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D