question-icon

Does Hawthorn interact with high BP and thyroid medications?

Posted on Wed, 18 May 2016
Question: I'm taking meds for high blood pressure and for thyroid,can I take Hawthorne [crataegus] tincture for circulation or would it interfeer with my meds?
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Can cause low blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs,

Hawthorne has the effect of decreasing blood pressure, so one should be very careful, when taking it along with blood pressure medications. They can cause low blood pressure if taken together.
There are no serious interactions with thyroid medications and hormones.
So if you decide to take Hawthorne with your medications, be very careful in the beginning of the treatment and monitor your blood pressure.

Wishing you a good health

In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan (1 hour later)
The recommended dose of the Hawthorne tincture was 5 drops in a T of water every day for 6 mo's. so instead of that can I take Hawthorne berries that I can order from my vitamin catalog?
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs,

You should compare doses with berries from your vitamin catalog and it will be better to discuss with your doctor.
When you start your treatment measure your blood pressure three times a day for the first 4 days.

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist