Does HPV vaccine reduce the risk of cervical cancer?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Cancer
Question: If I just had a cervical biopsy for cervical cancer and later that same day got the first hvp shot what is the chance that shot helped lessed the chance that i could get cervical cancer?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
it will definitely lessen the chance

Detailed Answer:
Hi

In your age group, HPV vaccine definitely reduces the risks of cervical cancer to a great extent.

Regarding the biopsy, if it already shows cancer or precancerous change, there is little the vaccine can do. It only prevents HPV infection. If the cancer process has started, that means HPV infection is well established. Then vaccine can't do anything. If biopsy is clear, then vaccine will work.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D