Does Geodon cause tardive dyskinesia?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: is tremmors from Geodon a sign of tardive dyskenisa I also take lamictal and kolonopin
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clarifications

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for using Health Care magic for posting your query.
I just needed a few more details to answer your query:
1) Since how long are there tremors?
2) Since how long are you on geodon and on which dose?
3) Are there any other abnormal movements other than tremors.
Hope to hear from you at your convinience,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 minutes later
Just tremmors for a few weeks Geodon dose 80mg lamictal 400mg kolopin 4mg

been on Geodon 12yrs
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most Probably a EPS symptom

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow-up details.
Geodon at 80 mg has a high tendency to cause extra pyramidal sideeffects. The tremors that you are experiencing is probably a resting tremors of extra pyramidal symptom. They will get resolved either by reducing the dose or by adding trihexyphenidyl 2mg in the morning. It may not be a tardive dyskinesia as tardive dyskinesia involves abnormal movements which are certainly more than tremors. They may be irregualar choreoform and non bilateral movements. Tremors are regular and bilateral and hence they are mostly EPS symptoms.
Are you on Lamictal and klonopin also since 12 years or are they a recent starter?
Hope this helps,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
kolonopin 12 yrs and lamictal 7yrs

I need to go back up to 160 mg Geodon or do you think I need to switch meds 80mgs is not enough

are you suggesting I might get irregular choreform
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 47 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gettig off geodon would be better

Detailed Answer:
Hello
The fact that you are having tremors with geodon suggests that you are sensitive to the EPS side-effects of Geodon. Hence it would be wise to get yourself off geodon and switch to the drugs which have less EPS causing tendency like olanzapine or quetiapine. If you continue taking geodon, there is a chance that in coming years you may develop a tardive dyskinesia- which is a choreoform movement disorder. At present you have not developed this and get your medicines changed from a psychiatrist.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy