Does Garcinia cambogia cause constipation and stomach pain?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Does Garcinia Cambodia cause constipation or stomach pains. Every since I started using it I am bloated, have terrible stomach aches and do have bowel movements but not what I consider adequate. I take laxatives, stool softners.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it most certainly can; take pantoprazole and plenty of water

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Yes, I am afraid it does. Some of the most common side effects of Garcinia cambogia include:

+Heart burn
+Dry mouth
+Abdominal discomfort
+Abdominal bloating
+Nausea
+Vomiting
+Dizziness
+Belching
+Irritability
+Increased gas
+At times even diarrhoea

I would recommend going off the laxatives and softners for a while, and if you have a bowel movement without the laxatives simply due to the Garcinia, then you need not continue with the stool softners or laxatives.

I also recommend the initiation of antacids like omeprazole or pantoprazole, one tablet 15 minutes before each meal, along with plenty of water (at least 2-3 litres per day).

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 hours later
It would sound like garcenia cambogia is what I need to go off! I have or have had every one of the symptoms. Thanks so much.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My pleasure entirely ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You are always welcome ma'am.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj