Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Does Galvust met causes abdominal pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Greetings Dr. I am 64 years old male and am taking Galvus met for last 2 years once daily. My fasting blood sugar now is 121 mg. Now I have lagging pain on the right side of abdomen. I had appendectomy 14 years back. Now colonoscopy was done and it is normal. CT Abdomen shows left side inguinal hernia. Lliver pancreas and kidneys are normal. No Kidney stones are noted. But I have pain on rt side of lower abdomen. Can the right side abdomen pain be due to side effect of Galvust met?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: No worries, liver function tests Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, It is great your radiologic examination results are ok, and do not deserve any cause for panic. Galvus Met, in some rare occasions has been associated with mild to moderate toxicity and inflammation of the liver. This could, in some circumstances, explain the right sided abdominal pain you are experiencing. It shall be important to get liver enzymes tested for. These are called liver transaminases (ASAT and ALAT). In case they are elevated, stopping the drug might be advocated. the good news is that after stopping the drug, most patients do come back to normal liver function, without leaving any serious sequelae. It is however important to get a proper examination from your family physician to exclude other causes of right sided abdominal pain. I do not think however, it should be something very serious, based on the radiologic findings. No bothering for now, as I think the drug could for sure partly explain why you experience this pain. The opinion of a doctor, after a clinical review is most welcome. Kind regards. DR Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor