Does Gabapentin interact with Klonopin?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Hello,

I am currently taking Gabapentin, 100mg, 3 times a day and .25 MG of Klonopin. I am taking these for burning mouth syndrome, which has been recently diagnosed. I am finding that my hands and legs get a bit numb during the day. Is this a side effect of any of these drugs. I am fine with it, just wondering if that's what the cause could be. And if there is any harm in these drugs. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not a side effect of any of them

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I read your query and and understand your concerns.

I do not think numbness of side effect of any of these medicines as both the medicines are helpful in treatment of numbness rather than causing it.

In fact gabapentin is extensively used for treatment of numbness and parasthesia in extremities and helps in most of the patients.

Considering the concomitant diagnosis of burning mouth syndrome it is possible that both numbness in extremities and burning mouth syndrome are manifestation of same pathology. It could be anything like nerve damage, endocrine disorders, vitamin B deficienecy among others.

In my opinion with progress of time numbness will respond in similar way as pain in burning mouth syndrome with same treatment.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 37 hours later
It seems funny that this all started at the same time as starting the pills. What tests should I get?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

I understand mysterious nature of burning mouth syndrome and it may seem funny to have different symptoms after start of medication. However I like to make it clear that all symptoms do not present at same time and it is possible that numbness in extremities presented later and it was just a coincidence that it occurred along with start of medication.

Generally the various tests used for diagnosis are not helpful to a great extent and you may get conflicting results. However to unearth the etiology of burning mouth syndrome and numbness in extremities I recommend following tests.
1. Vitamin B 12
2. Serum folate
3. Thyroid profile
4. Nerve conduction study

I hope this answers you further.
Thanks and regards.