Does GERD or achalasia cardia cause difficulty in swallowing?
I will get all the info tomorrow and see what his mother says. He is very thin, but 16 and 6'3" he never complains as that is not his style, but it is doing horrible things to him like cavities in his teeth, this was how I found out. His great great great grandmother had a hiatal hernia, his great grandmother had problems swallowing, and this grandmother had her esp. stretched.
Could be achalasia cardia or barett esophagus.
As per the explanation given by you; You have written that when he takes food it comes back into mouth which he has to swallow again.
There are chances that it could be a condition called Achalasia cardia. It is basically a neuro-degenerative disorder where due to some neuronal problem the lower esophageal sphincter fails to relax properly. Hence food comes back to mouth.
Possibility no 2 is that it could be acid peptic reflux which might had lead to a condition called Barrett's esophagus over years.But this is usually involved with severe heart burn and chest pain and usually responds well to any antacid like Omeprazole.
I would recommend him to go for a planned test called Endoscopy.
In endoscopy the inner liming and motility of sphincters would be seen by a camera.As there is a history of 7 years it should be done once.
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for dizziness, fatigue and nausea when diagnosed with...
- What causes constant abdominal bloating after gallbladder surgery?
- Suggest remedies for chronic hiccups
- Suggest treatment for severe cramps and abdominal pain
- What does my HIDA report result indicate?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea, low grade fever and abdominal pain
- Suggest treatment for symptoms of GERD
- Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux despite taking Nexium
- Does Tylenol Cold cause diarrhea when taken for cold and flu?
- Suggest treatment for multiple anal abscesses