Does GERD cause weight loss?
I just wanted to know if GERD can cause you to lose weight?
I was 220lbs three weeks ago and then I had stomach pains. I was still eating but now I am eating healthier and no fatty foods.
Now I am 210lbs. That;s 10 lbs in three weeks. I stopped working out for a month already but I am goign back. The stomach pain is gone and the reflux is very limited now. Is the weight loss a big problem. I am still eating throughout the day.
I also have some anxiety as well.
Gastroscopy should be done.
Thank you for the query.
First of all GERD usually does not cause stomach pain. If the stomach hurts and there was some acid reflux before the pain has started, peptic ulcer or stomach inflammation are the most probable reason. Peptic ulcer gives lack of appetite and can lead to weight loss.
Anxiety is also the factor of weight loss due to increased food passage and accelerated metabolism. Additionally anxiety stimulates stomach acid secretion and can worsen stomach condition.
The main problem with weight loss and stomach pain is that you never know if its just an ulcer or something worse (like stomach cancer). Stomach cancer can produce similar to peptic ulcer and similar to GERD symptoms. Weight loss is always an indication that something serious may be happening.
So in conclusion, most likely your weight loss is caused by some stomach issue. GERD usually does not cause weight loss.
However it is advisable to have stomach cancer ruled out.
To do that you should have gastroscopy done.
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Nausea and hunger after eating, waking up at night hungry, urge to...
- Pain inside anus during bowel movement. Is Xyloproct or preparation H...
- Bad odor in belly button, red substance inside, oozing pus
- Pain in front of arm and at wrist under thumb, swelling and throbbing....
- Chest tightness when walking, upper back discomfort, heartburn, no...
- Lump in chest, painful, have pain in ribs and lower back
- Done hernia repair in belly button, have cramp on right side,...
- Frostbite wound on chest from blister freezer. Itching and peeling off....
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, blood in urine. What do I do?
- Is triple action viriliy purchase thru new vitality safe?