Does Fosamax intake have an effect of calcium absorption?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My wife takes the generic for Fosamax 70mg. I read somewhere once that if you take this drug and you take calcium supp you should take Citracal and not calcium carbonate because you get better absorption. Is this true?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not true!

Detailed Answer:

Fosamax doesn't affect the absorption of different calcium preparations. The most important thing to observe is that these medications should be taken at least 2hours apart. Also, avoid lying down or leaning forward soon after taking fosamax.

I hope this addresses your worry. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.