Does Fluoxetine interact with Clonazepam?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Dear Dr.

Several years ago I went through a very emotional issue, finding out my husband was cheating after being together for 25 years, in what I thought was a good marriage. We have 2 kids, they were 11 and 14 years old at the time. My parents divorced when I was 8 years old. My Mother became very mean and depressed. My brother became overly abusive and molested me. My Father was inappropriately touching me and I had to break off our relationship.
I had figured out that the pain i had all my life was Fibromyalgia (tests confirmed, as much as possible).
After trying several medications including SSRI's, cymbalta, effexor, flexeril, elavil, clonazepam, and more, I had an episode of Seratonin Syndrome where I became super depressed and could not stop crying for over a week, and my moods just went darker and worse. The only thing stopping my suicide was the love for my kids. (At the time I did not know I also had an Adrenal Adenoma, secreting hormones, and I was in Menopause, too).
I was able to get in to see a really nice Psychiatrist. we discussed my situation, and medications I was already on, and he recommended Fluoxetine (prozac). I started with a 10 mg dose for the first week, per day, and we titrated up until I got to 30 mg , 3 x a day. It helped me enormously and I have taken the same dose ever since. I have never abused my meds and they do not make me high.
My question is, do I have to check in with another Psychiatrist or Therapist after this many years on Fluoxetine and Clonazepam, if they are working fine? I think I will need them forever.....unless I remove my adrenal gland with the tumor and that changes me.
Thank you
Diane C.
P.S. What type of pain medication would you recommend with those two drugs? Nothing over the counter will work. I am taking something but would like to see what you would recommend.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you are doing good then continue on same medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for asking from Healthcaremagic.com

I can understand your concern. You are on Fluoxetine and Clonazepam. Fluoxetine is a good antidepressant drug and has good efficacy in controlling depressive symptoms. Clonazepam not only relieves anxiety but also helps to reduce depressive symptoms. So if your symptoms are better and you are doing good on these medicines then I don't think you should consider stopping these drugs, but a follow up consultation with a psychiatrist will do good. Fluoxetine 30 mg dose is not a high dose for better effects it can be increased to 40 mg or if needed to 60 mg. The drug will help in better symptoms control.

If your depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia symptoms are under control on the medicines then no need to add an another medicine. But for full response you can think of some drug that helps to augment the actions of Fluoxetine. Bupropion can be kept as one option. The drug is safe in terms of side effects and will definitely augment the actions of Fluoxetine. So if you visit a psychiatrist then you can discuss about this drug. This will help in lifting the mood too.

Thanks. Take care.

You are welcome to ask follow up doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana