• question-icon

Does Fluoxetine interact with Benicar, Propranolol, Xanax, Uroxatral and Flonase?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm a 70 year old male with spinal stenosis and disc degeneration in my lower back. In addition to other medications, I have just been prescribed to take Fluoxetine HCL (20mg twice a day) to alleviate the lower back pain. My doctor prescribing this says the results from taking this are mixed, that is: may work, may not. I have two questions for you:
Question 1A). Do you think Fluoxetine will help?
1B). Doctor says, in some patients this has eliminated the pain for many patotiens for months and once the pain subsides you can stop taking Fluoxetine and the pain relief could begin in just few days. What is your view?
Question 2) Is it safe to take Fluoxetine with my other medications? Other meds are: Benicar hcl, Propranalol, Tizanadine hc, Xanax, Mobic and Uroxatral. Flonase and Azalastine HCI as needed.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is safe

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

I will prefer to answer first question later.

Regarding your second question I must make it clear that fluoxetine have no serious interactions with any of the current medications and it is completely safe.

Regarding your first question I do not have very positive experience with fluoxetine in pain symptoms. I agree that it helps but I think the chances of success is less than the chances of failures. In my opinion SNRI group of medications such as duloxetine will make a better choice in your case in compare to fluoxetine.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist