question-icon

Does Flexeril help in treating lower back muscle spasms?

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016
Question: I recently began having lower-back muscle spasms in bed at night, usually after 2-3 hours of sleep. No pain or disfunction once I'm up and around, throughout the day. Some online research revealed FLEXORIL as a possible remedy but also that I should avoid it due to my borderline glaucoma (I take 1 drop in each eye of LATANOPROST for that.) Is that a "BIG No-No" or ???
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Not a major contraindication, but better to avoid, can try with supervision

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Flexeril (with the active ingredients cyclobenzaprine) will help to relieve the muscle spasms you seem to be experiencing, but it is also true that they can worsen glaucoma and so should be avoided, but if the glaucoma is being regularly monitored then this medication can be tried.

Another option could be carisoprodol (soma), but should be taken for a short period of time and under a doctor supervision and prescription. I think it would be best to visit a pain management specialist for your presentation sir.

I hope you find my response helpful, please feel free to write to me for any further clarifications, I am here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan