Does Finax cause sexual problems?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi i'm 28. I visited a doctor today and got prescirbed with finax 1mg, hairbless tab, regaine( minoxidil topical sol usp 5%, xgain hair serum, tricleaze hair cleanser. I had specifically assked the doctor about making sure that my testostorone level should nt fall. As i workout and have an active sex life aswel of which both are important to me. But i went online to see the review of the finax ( finasteride tab IP 1mg). Really worried will it affect either of the things. As dealing with slight less hair is not that big a problem as having lower testosterone or have a sexual side effects. Reading finax side effects it has really made thinking.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Finasteride is safe

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar . I have gone through your query and I have understood it.

Finasteride is US FDA approved for Androgenetic Alopecia. Finasteride does'nt affect Testosterone levels.

1-3% of patients on Finasteride are reported to have sexual side effects like decreased sexual drive/libido during the initial part of therapy.

However, this side effect is overcome on continued treatment with finasteride and is not much of a concern. Therefore I would suggest you to go ahead with it.

Moreover, this side effect of finasteride is a reversible on discontinuation.

However, if you are still worried about the sexual side effects of Finasteride you may opt for Saw Palmetto extract (Androanagen tablet). Saw palmetto extract present in Androanagen tablet is plant derived and is promoted as an alternative to Finasteride (5 alpha reductase inhibitor) in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia. While Finasteride can have side effects like decreased sexual drive and loss of libido in 1-2 % of patients, the main advantage of Androanagen is that it is as effective as Finasteride but devoid of the side effects of Finasteride.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T