Does Elecare cause blood and mucus in stool?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi my daughter has been on elecare since 7 weeks until now 4.5 months because she had blood and mucus in her stools. The blood and mucus was clear on elecare for 3 months and now it seems to be back again with a rash on abdomen (small pink and clear dots on skin) and chest with a cold. Is she reacting to elecare also after 3 months or is it a viral as she has no fever. Am so worried as elecare is last resort in formula. What next ?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get Stool examination done

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms XXXX

Elecare us Hypoallergenic feed and is unlikely to be the cause. Feed allergy usually manifest with blood and mucous in stools. It is less likely accompanied by rash .
Before attributing the symptoms of blood and mucous in stools , it is important to confirm it by getting Stool examination done.
Consult your Physician for the stools examination. Presence of excess Eosinophil in stool is suggestive of feed allergy. Also good clinical examination of perianal region is required to rule out local pathology as cause of symptoms.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 10 minutes later
Can you please clarify What food allergy as she is only on elecare formula and not on any foods yet . Are you referring to the corn syrup used in elecare formula?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Feed is also referred as food

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Elecare is infant formula feed and is referred as feed. As it's the only food of baby it is also referred to as food or feed allergy.
I would suggest you the following

1. Thorough examination by Physician
2. Stool Routine and Microscopic examination

Best regards
Dr Deepak