Does Effexor interact with Sertraline?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hi my name is xxxxxxx.
I'm in XXXXXXX and ran out of Effexor 150mg and feel like I have vertigo, I've been off of it for 3 days. I happen to have some sertraline on me 100mg because I was on it 1 year ago, should I take that to help with these symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

What you are experiencing is antidepressant withdrawal. As you are experiencing, this is uncomfortable, but is not dangerous, and will resolve within the next 48 hours. Do not take sertraline 100mg as it will only give you side effects and not stop the withdrawal.

Try your best to wait it out and it will stop soon.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee