Does Ebixa interact with Ecosprin Gold, Alprax and Nebistar?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: My mother is 82yrs. She is on high blood pressure medication and had also gone for PTCA in 2011. following medicines are being taken by her : (Cilacar T, Nebistar-5 in morning) and (Cilacar-10, Nebistar 5, Ecosprin Gold, Alprax 0.25 in night) . Recently she had developed dementia problem. Doctor had now suggested her since last 2-3 days to start Ebixa-10 half tab. daily at 7PM. As she is taking so many tablets, kindly suggest any medicine is to be stopped or any side effects she my have at later stage.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....you can proceed ahead with ebixa
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
You can easily give ebixa ( MEMANTINE ) to your mother as it doesn't have any interaction with the medicines she is already taking.
There is no need to stop any medicine.
The most common side effects on longterm uses are...
Headache,constipation,drowsiness,dizziness ,confusion,fatigue,loss of appetite etc.
Consult your doctor in case patient develops any of above symptoms.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 19 hours later
15 days back, CT Brain was done and finding was lacunar Infract in the bilateral basal ganglia. Doctor had also suggested for her Brain CT PET, so as to ruled out problem other than Dementia----. As my Mother is quite weak 35 Kg weight (not able to sit/walk by herself)and also had single Kidney (10 days back her S. Creatinine was 0.9). Is it advisable/necessary to perform CT PET in this condition?. If yes, what is the risk and preparation/ precaution required for test.

XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
There is no problem in getting the PET CT done.
Old age and low weight is not a bar to it.
Serum creatinine levels are normal.
PET CT requires very small amounts of radioactive materials called as radio tracers and their bad effect is as good as neglible.
Similarly allergic reactions to radio tracers are also very rare and hence nothing to be worried about.
In nutshell there is no harm in getting the PET CT done.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 21 hours later
Hello Doctor,
My Mother had developed constipation. She normally remain on bed and hardly try to move and sit not more than 5 minutes. Though by giving 20 ml of DUPHALAC she passes her stool. Is it advisable to give DUPHALAC on regular basis, if not what is the harm/alternatives?.

XXXXX
Lack of movement and less intake of fibre and water adds to the constipation which in itself is a problem in old age.
DUPHALAC ( LACTULOSE ) is an osmotic laxative and softens the stool.
It is a safe laxative and can be used longterm without any harm.
Thanks