Does Duphaston cause harm to fetus during pregnancy?

Posted on Thu, 4 Sep 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: will duphaston medication harm my unborn fetus? what could be the reason of my spotting or bleeding? I'm on my 9th week now. any chances bleeding will stop after my 1st trimester?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually it is safe for use.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The spotting and bleeding that you are having is due to incomplete attachment of the developing placenta to the uterine lining. This usually subsides on its own after the first trimester. There is no need to worry.
Since the fetal cardiac activity is normal chances of miscarriage are low.
The purpose of progesterone - dydrogesterone/ duphaston during the first trimester is to "mimic" the function of something called the corpus luteum. It is a cyst that produces progesterone during early pregnancy that helps to 'maintain' the pregnancy until it reaches a certain point where it can survive on its own. This is usually about 10-12 weeks. This is usually given in infertility treatment and in patients with a history of recurrent miscarriages.
Abnormalities of the genitourinary tract are found in a baby whose mother had taken Duphaston (dydrogesterone) from week 8 to week 20 of pregnancy.
You can get your blood progesterone levels measured and if these are found to be below normal, then you can continue taking Duphaston.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor. You have clearly answered my question. My doctor didnt advise me to have a blood test wether i have enough progesterone levels. She just said that I take the duphaston because i have bleeding. Once the bleeding have subsided do you think it is OK to stop taking the duphaston?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes. You can decrease the dose.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
As soon as your bleeding stops you can decrease the dosage of progesterone and then stop taking it after consulting your gynecologist. Suddenly stopping the progesterone can cause a slight spotting due to withdrawal.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN