Does Duoluton help in regulating irregular menstruation?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I m 27 and trying to conceive since six months. Have been married for 2.8 years and have not used any form of contraception.Had thyroid and was taking eltroxin 25. Got my basal hormonal assay done on 5th day of menses. The levels are as follows FSH/5.2, LH/3.94, Estradiol/57, TSH/1.7 and increased prolactin/37. My gynaec has now adviced me to take Cabergolin for prolactin and duoluton l contraceptives for 3mnths now and then try. I want to know if its necessary to take duoluton l for bringing the hormones in level?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Taking Duoluton will cause regular periods.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
To control the raised prolactin levels, cabergolin is needed. The raised prolactin levels are associated with delayed periods. Your gynecologist has given you Duoluton so that you have regular periods for three months and till then your prolactin levels will also com back to normal. The chances of conception in these three months with raised prolactin levels are less. You can avoid taking Duoluton I but be prepared for delayed periods.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
But i have not been getting delayed periods. My periods arrive 2 or sometimes 4 days earlier then the last menses date.So in this case can i avoid taking duoluton l and are my other hormone levels not correct for pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can avoid duoluton L.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If your periods are regular then you can avoid Duoluton L. Rest of the hormones are normal. You can conceive naturally. Do have a regular intercourse during the fertile period.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 hours later
Thanx for the reply maam. I got an USG done on day 9 of my cycle to rule out pcod. The USG report is normal with a dominant follice in the left ovary. I have started with cabergoline. Are there chances of conception this month. My LMP was 29th july . Could you tell me my most fertile days.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
8th to 15th August.

Detailed Answer:
If there is a dominant follicle in left ovary then the chances of conception are present. It is best to have a daily intercourse from day 11 till day 18 in this cycle. Do start having a regular intercourse from 8th August till 15th August.
Regards.