Does Doxycycline effectively treat pneumonia?

Pulmonologist
Question
Is Doxycycline the appropriate first prescription for bronchitis? X-ray ruled out pneumonia, but bronchitis symptoms are acute. Prescription is in hand, but since it requires interruption of patient’s dairy and calcium regimen, we think it preferable to treat bronchial symptoms with aggressive home remedies for 48 hours before committing to a possibly irrelevant antibacterial therapy. Patient is 80 year old female.
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please consider the following

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I can understand your concern

Yes, it is true that Doxycycline is the first line therapy in acute bacterial bronchitis.

But this might be a viral acute bronchitis which usually doesn't need antibiotics. In patients around this age, we prefer more Amoxicillin than Doxycycline due to its side effects like diarrhea.

However in my opinion, if she has a cough with secretions, breathlessness, a fever you should start the antibiotic. If not, then try first with home remedies and monitor her condition.

I hope to have helped you, feel free to ask further..