• question-icon

Does Diclofenac cause high blood pressure?

Posted on Mon, 24 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have just started taking diclofenac for a neck issue and now find my blood pressure is high.
Yesterday around 140/90. My father passed away 3 weeks ago so stress level a bit high.
I am a 56 year old female, only other med I take is Zyrtec for allergies, I eat well, stay fit and get 7-8 hours of sleep most nights. Busy life with 2 teens, good marriage.
Should I continue with the Meds- it has helped my neck which has a pinched nerve. I only take one a day rather than the recommended 2. Worried about my blood pressure. Using a home blood pressure machine.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's a common side effect

Detailed Answer:

a worsening of hypertension is common with NSAID (non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory-drugs). Psychological stress is another very common cause. Both may have contributed to your uncontrolled blood pressure. Diclofenac won't cure the cause of the pain, it just eases the symptoms. If you're better then you can omit the rest of the treatment.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 42 minutes later
Yes, I am aware of the side effects just want tot know if I should address the high blood pressure separately. I do still need the help with my neck since it's only been 2 days on the medication. And since the psychological stress may take some time I'm thinking it may not be wise to live with the elevated blood pressure. How long is too long to have the elevated pressure?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
please read the full answer

Detailed Answer:
You can try alternatives like combinations of paracetamol with low dose opioids. These drugs do not increase the blood pressure and are potent enough to provide some relief. Regarding the psychological stress, if it's a 'normal' reaction to a serious stressful situation no treatment is required. If you're talking about generalized anxiety disorder then this is something different that may required psychiatric consultation and treatment.

Regarding the time to wait... if you're going to take the NSAID for a few days (or a couple of weeks) then there is no real problem with hypertension unless you have serious heart failure or an enlarging aneurysm which may be prone to rupture. Otherwise a transient elevation in your blood pressure won't be harmful to your health. Just make sure you measure the blood pressure right. Remember to measure it at least a couple of times (three times would be better) and only take into account the lowest measurement or the mean value of the two lowest measurements. You should be calm and sitting for at least 5 minutes before measuring it and you should avoid smoking (if you smoke) for at least 30 minutes before the measurement. If you do have elevated blood pressure levels then you'll have to make sure it's gone when the NSAID course is over. Otherwise treatment would have to be initiated.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis