Does Cyproterone Acetate cause harm to the fetus in case of pregnancy?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi
I would very much appreciate your advice. I was diagnosed with female pattern hair loss on Monday. I went to see the XXXXXXX Kinglsey Trichologist in London. They prescribed a topical solution of 3% minoxidil, oestradiol, methoxyprogesterone and cyproterone acetate. They assured me that the anti-androgens will not be absorbed systemically in an meaningful quantity. However, they are not medically qualified. I would like to conceive in the next 6 months and am worried that the cyproterone acetate may cause fetal harm if it is not washed out of my system in enough time before I conceive (if any is absorbed topically). How much time do you think I need to stop taking the drops for before trying to conceive? I am 35. Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
2 MONTHS PRIOR TO PLANNING OF PREGNANCY.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Cyproterone Acetate is a VERY WEEK anti-androgen and it is NOT harmful to growing fetus if you stop the medicine soon after missed period or realization of pregnancy after positive test.

2) Basically, we suggest to STOP all hormonal agents (oral or topical) for at least 2 months prior to planning of pregnancy if there is NO period irregularity.

It may interfere with your chance of successful conception including some harmful effect to fetus if continued after POSITIVE pregnancy test.

3) You should take FOLIC ACID and VITAMIN supplement for 3 months during Pre-conception stage. It will help to develop better nervous system of growing fetus and prevent Neural Tube Defect.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 39 hours later
Hi

Thank you for replying.
I do have irregular cycles and am undergoing investigation for Day2-5 and Day 21 cycle tests when my next period is due (hopefully this week).
Do you think the drops will interfere with my chances of conception?
I am most probably going to require clomid to conceive as PCOS runs in my family.
The exact contents of the drops are 3% minoxidil, 0.004% medroxyprogesterone acetate, 0.004% cyproterone acetate and 0.004% oestradiol valerate.

The Trichologist assured me that this would not interfere with chances of conception but I would appreciate a medical opinion.

Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. S Patra 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NOT INTERFERE WITH CONCEPTION.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Hormonal medicated drop has VERY MINIMAL chance of internal absorption and it DOESN'T interfere with chance of conception. However, you should discontinue the drop soon after positive pregnancy test.

Hope, it helps to clear your doubt. Kindly, close the discussion.

Good luck and all the best.

Dr Soumen