Does Cymbalta interact with Z-pak?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm taking 60mg of cymbal a. I had bronchitis and was given a z-pac to take. On the last day of the z-pac, I had a seizure. Was that due to the two drugs interacting. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No interaction between the two.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern regarding drug interactions.

However I do not think that is the case, there are no known interactions between duloxetine (Cymbalta) and azithromycin (Z pak). As for them inciting seizures individually that is very rare, it is cited among side effects but very rare, <1%.

As for the lactate concentration that may have been altered by the seizure itself, not a cause of it.

So it remains hard to say, often it is not one single cause, but combination of several factors at the same time (sleep, nutrition, dehydration, medications) predispozing one for seizures at a certain moment in time.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.