Does Cyclopam help cure colic in an infant?

Posted on Mon, 11 Jan 2016 in Child Health
Question: Is it ok to give cyclopam syrup to an infant of 4 months whenever he cries or vomits milk after feeding? He used to vomit a litle little after feeding and sometimes vomit by putting his fingers in mouth too. Sometimes he cries a lot as it seems he is having stomach pain as if we carry on shoulder with his stomach pressed against our body he becomes silent.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper burping will solve your problem

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I need to ask you whether the child is exclusively breast fed or whether he is being given formula feeds. Most formula milks are cow milk based and hence difficult to digest. This can lead to the child getting abdominal discomfort and the child may often vomit it out. Proper burping is essential to ensure that this does not happen. You need to hold the baby in head upright position for about 20 mins after each feed. This will prevent regurgitation and reflux of the milk from the stomach to the food pipe while it lets the air (taken along with food) to escape and thereby reduce distension. Such distension is otherwise the cause of the uneasiness that makes the child cry out.

Cyclopam (dicycomine) may be given but I would prefer drops that contain simethicone instead. It can be given safely but it is meaningless to be given after each feed. Proper burping will ensure that is not required.

Hope that helped.

Feel free to ask back in case of further queries, if any.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 15 minutes later
He is on formula feed from birth, upto 3 months he was on lactogen 1 . After 3 months we tried similac advance for sometime, but he was not seeing comfortable with it so we changed to enfomil now and he seems ok with it . We are feeding him 120-150 ml every 2 hrs in morning and night usually feeds him at 12am , then 3am and morning 5 am. Are we overfeeding or something?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper burping is still the solution to look for

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You have just confirmed my apprehension as breast fed children generally do not have such problems. 120 ml seems fine but you may experiment with the amount and see what is fine. However, proper burping is still essential and should solve the problem. If it still does not help, you can ask your doctor to prescribe Domstal (domperidone) suspension 0.5 ml thrice daily 15 mins before giving feeds.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 9 minutes later
When can we start giving solid foods? He will be 5 months this 30th dec
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Weaning to be done at 6 months

Detailed Answer:
We usually insist on starting semisolids from 6 months of age. The initially change should be to slightly thicker liquids like dal.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician