• question-icon

Does Clonazepam interact with Mucinex?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My 98 year old dad had a stroke in january, and has an artificial heart valve as well. He is also on clonazepam .25 at night for sleeping, and has added Mucinex expectorant and suppressant dm for bronchitis. He is now having trouble with muscle pain and is having trouble getting out of bed in the am. He walks with a walker, but has muscle weakness in both legs. These muscle issues are new. Is there a drug interaction here, or are these signs of another impending stroke?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Clonazepam probably is causing such symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for the question here at HealthcareMagic.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

There is no interaction between Clonazepam and Mucinex, so, an interaction of these drugs probably is not responsible for the symptoms.

Clonazepam may cause muscles weakness, balance, and poor coordination.

It is necessary to lower the Clonazepam doses first.

If there is no improvement in weakness after a couple of days, the new stroke should be taken into consideration.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Let me know if I could assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical