Does Clomid intake in pregnancy cause damge to the fetus?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi, I took a pregnancy test today it was positive. I was prescribed clomid 100 mgs. I thought I had my period starting July 4th and started my clomid round on the 3rd day. I am very worried I have caused damage to my fetus. Need advice
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO NEED TO WORRY

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Many women are given Clomiphene citrate ( clomid ) for ovulation induction and conceive as a result of the ovulation induction.
The incidence of abnormalities observed in the fetus due to clomiphene is less than 1 %, and the general incidence of abnormalities in the population even without any drug is 1 %
So there is no increased risk of harm to your baby.

Please do not worry.

Just have regular antenatal checkups and regular scanning done. Please take 5 mg per day folic acid throughout your pregnancy.

All the best
Please feel free to discuss further
Enjoy your pregnancy !

Follow-up: Does Clomid intake in pregnancy cause damge to the fetus? 7 hours later
Thanks for the info, so there is no concern that I was pregnant (didn't know it at the time) and took a round of clomid?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
NO CONCERN.

Detailed Answer:
Not in the least, there is no worry.
Just relax and enjoy this beautiful journey !