Does Clomid help in treatment of low sperm count and low sperm motility?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Infertility Problem
Question: hi i have low sperm count and very low motility dr has told me to take proxeed does it help and does clomid help
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details Please

Detailed Answer:

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

I want to know some more details before answering :

1) I wish to know what are the Semen parameters. Please scan and attach the semen analysis report if you have.

2) Proxeed and clomid does not help in all cases.

3) Let me know if you have done hormonal analysis and scrotal doppler scan. Please scan and attach the same.

4) I shall go through all reports and give you detailed response.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Infertility Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 36 minutes later
dr the old seman and fsh and lh reports are before taking clomid

second report is after 3 months of taking clomid but i did a sample via intercousre
without condom and some of the sample was wasted

pls confirm if you need an other reports
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ICSI

Detailed Answer:

Hormone tests done before and after taking clomid are fine.

Semen analysis show some improvement and not great.

Ultrasound shows hydrocele which can be treated.

I dont see any use of proxeed or clomid.

You should stop these medicine as i dont see much improvement.

If you are trying for pregnancy you should go for ICSI ( Intracytoplasmic Sperm injection ) treatment at the earliest.

I hope your doubt is cleared.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 59 minutes later
Thanks dr we just had a failed ivf and the dr here started our treatment with my wife tsh 19 and did not even bother to control thyroid first and we failed now we are devastated by these money money ivf drs in Pakistan do u have any suggestions where should we go I heard best icsi is being done in Belgium but not sure where in Belgium we don't want another failed ivf as it's too much stress my wife tsh has dropped till 3.9 last week report do u think she needs thyroxine she also has pcos how can u fix my low sperm count and motility could it be hydrocele in my left testicle the cause pls advise
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

I know the difficulty you underwent. It is unfortunate incident.

Your condition does not seem to get changed a lot by getting hydrocele operated. Anyway no harm in getting operated. You can give it a try.

There are very good centres in XXXXXXX They are on par with international advanced centres. You can come down to XXXXXXX if you wish. I can help you out.

Keep testing for thyroid control repeatedly. PCOS is not really great problem. Don't worry about it.
Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.

IVF and Infertility Specialist
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 39 minutes later
Thanks doc pls advise how much thyroid is ideal to get pregnant for my wife to be ready for ivf her tsh was 19 in januaury and now its 3.9 without thyroxine in may we had ivf this year pls advise
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Less than 5

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thyroid hormone TSH should be less than 5.
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 hours later
attached are my wife recent reports pls advise for ivf does she need thyroxine
or metformin
thanks dr. my testosterone was 110 before i started taking clomid
and when i stopped it for a while my testicles shrinked do you think i should stop it by first reducing the dose to 25 mg from 50 mg daily and then stop it slowly
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IVF details

Detailed Answer:

I saw your wife's report. She does not need metformin or thyroxine as both tests are normal.

She needs other blood tests like AMH and FSH along with antral follicle count.

Let me know what is her age and details of previous IVF. How many embryos were obtained and how many transferred and which day . Scan and attach if you have embryo pictures.

You can stop clomid anytime. No need to reduce dosage.

Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 minutes later
thanks dr. if i stop clomid my testicles shirink and my penis shrinks as well? pls advise

my wife had 6 eggs and 2 were fertilised on day 3 they did the transfer AMh
is not availble here but with six eggs collected do you think we need her remaing folicle count ?

my wife tsh in XXXXXXX this year was 19 and it dropped automatically is it possible that i can drop so fast without any medicine

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Age?

Detailed Answer:

Testis shrinkage wont be caused by discontinuing clomid. Its false belief. The shrinkage of scrotal skin is related to temperature.

TSH value to drop from 19 to 3 without medicines is not possible. One of report seems to be wrong.

6 eggs are quite less. What is your wife's age
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 14 minutes later
my wife is 33 years old

i am attaching my wife both last year and recent reports pls look into this and advise how is it possible for tsh to drop like this without medicine
Brief Answer:
TSH drop

Detailed Answer:

TSH cannot vary so much. One of report is likely to be wring. Probably laboratory error.

Go by the present report. If necessary repeat it from another lab.