Owl Image

Does Cipro effectively treat UTI despite experiencing itching as a side-effect?

Question
I have a urinary tract infection. The organism is Proteus. I have been prescribed Cipro but in September of 2014, I had itching all over after taking four tablets and was told to stop taking it at that point. My doctor said the only drugs appropriate for this infection are Macrobid, Cipro, Sulfa or Ampicillin. I have quite severe IBS and have these kind of response to all on the list but Cipro. My question is: Since I had itching all over after taking four 250 mg.s
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cipro may cause the same side effect again.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic,
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

Yes, you need to start an antibiotic as soon as possible.

The itchiness in your body may have been an allergic reaction so that is why the doctors have told you to stop it because it can be worse at the time. So most probably you will have the side effect again.

I would say that you consider doing the urine culture before starting it because the resistance from antibiotics changes and you may have other ones that you can use.

And the next thing is that if you don't have a choice other then Cipro, you should use it despite the side effect that it has, because leaving a UTI untreated may damage your kidneys which is much worse then itchiness. Just buy an adrenaline or antiallergic medicine to use in case the allergic reaction appears again.

If worse or not better, I would recommend revisiting the doctor.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako