Does Carbamazepine or Oxcarbazepine cause false negative pregnancy test results?
Will the use of Carbamazepine or Oxcarbazepine cause a false negative pregnancy BLOOD test?
YES, YOU CAN GET FALSE NEGATIVE TEST.
Thanks for writing to us.
YES, Carbamazepine or Oxcarbazepine can interfere with urine pregnancy test and may give FALSE NEGATIVE result. Some research study and articles have mentioned that.
Therefore, you can't rely upon home pregnancy test if you are using that drug. I suggest you to undergo one blood test for beta-hCG or ultrasound scan (more better) to confirm the diagnosis.
Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.
Wish your good health and take care yourself.
Dr S Patra
For future query, you can directly approach me through
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.
Thanks for follow up query.
YES, Carbamazepine can affect blood test result (beta-hCG) to some extent if you are using that for longer period. It can reduce level in both urine and blood.
You should repeat the test after 1 week of stopping them. Otherwise, Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan will be worthwhile.
Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion.
All the best and good luck.
Dr S Patra
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Low iron cause false negative pregnancy test
- Can a uti cause a false negative pregnancy test
- False negative pregnancy test results on carazett
- Can diabetes cause false negative pregnancy tests
- Amphetamine false negative pregnancy test results
- Can fibroids cause false negative pregnancy test
- Vegetarian false negative pregnancy test results
- Can hashimotos cause false negative pregnancy tests
- Can propranolol cause a false negative on pregnancy test
- False negative pregnancy test