Does CT scan of the abdomen cause cancer?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Cancer
Question: Hello

As of age 23, I did have very many problems with reflux, hiatal hernia, fullness-feeling in my chest and stomach; so after 3 gastroscopy the doctor decided to do a CT-scan just to make sure everything was allright. I got contrast liquid while doing it.

Now after 3 years; I have read a lot about dangerous radiation when doing a CT-scan of the abdoman.

This was only a single scan.

Do I have anything to worry about, for example cancer in the future because of this CT-scan ?

The result was: everything looked normal.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry much

Detailed Answer:
Hi

One CT with contrast is very unlikely to cause any cancer risk. If many scans are done at frequent interval then it can cause some risk.

In your case I do not see any cause for concern.

Hope this helps.