Does Bupropion interact Tamsulosin?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: 1 I am taking bupropion hcl sr tablet 2 x day, also am taking tamsulosin hcl oral capsule 2 at bedtime. The screen said to click on the icon below to be informed about an interaction warning. I want to read that warning. This is what I got. 2 I recently started taking itraconazole 2 capsules in am, 2.5 weeks ago, also. I also want to know about any additional interaction warnings.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Bupropion increases tamsulosin levels by affecting its metabolism in the liver. However, both can be used together , safely and are not contraindicated. Dose adjustment can be done if you experience hypotension episodes, dizziness or any erectile dysfunction.

Itraconazole also increases tamsulosin levels so till the itraconazole is used, you might consider withholding the tamsulosin or asking your PCP to prescribe an alternative.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil