Does Betamethasone help cure psoriasis?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Will I have a rebound effect or topical steroid withdrawal when I stop the use of high potency topical steroid ointment (betamethasone or clobetesol propionate) to treat my psoriasis? I have only been using the ointment for 2 days so far. How do I avoid this side effect?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No rebound or withdrawal effect on stopping topical steroids

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
You won't have rebound or withdrawal phenomenon on stopping the use of topical steroids. Withdrawal phenomenon is usually seen on using high dose of oral steroids for a long duration.
Since psoriasis is a chronic disease so there is always a chance of relapse. To avoid it withdraw topical steroids slowly like use twice daily for few days. Once you notice improvement reduce to once daily for another few days and then twice weekly and then stop.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Thank you for the good advice. I have one more question, the instructions say to only use for 2 weeks. If psoriasis returns, or if I find another psoriasis lesion in a new place on my body, how long should I wait before using the ointment again?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be used upto 3-4 weeks on the body

Detailed Answer:
The instructions say to use it for 2 weeks but on the body it can be used for upto 3-4 weeks.
If psoriasis returns or you develop a new lesion you can use it without waiting for any period of time.
But if psoriasis is relapsing very frequently and with increased severity then you can consider going for other topical and oral medication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy