Does Berberine interact with Amlodipine, Lexapro and Linisopril?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i take lexapro and amlodipine & linisopril (high blood pressure) but my readings are usually in 120 over 70. . . i am overweight & can't seem to control my appetite since taking the lexapro. . . i see where berberine has been very beneficial to some people in controlling the appetite. Is this something i can take. i am 65 & female.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern I would explain that lexapro is the main cause of your increased appetite.

It is safe to take berberine while on your current therapy. It does not interact with no on of the drugs that you are actually taking.

Anyway, it does not have such a great effect on the appetite.

I recommend trying Garcinia supplements as they are more helpful with weight loss.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 38 minutes later
It appears that berberine is good for alot of concerns ie. heart, choloesterola, diabetes plus what I've heard from people who said it helped with appetite....i tried garcinia before & it always causes crampy stomache & diarrhea....i saw online that berberine can do something with seritonin level & i wanted to be sure with the lexapro....my healthcare dr does not believe in supplements & i quite asking...i would love an alternative for the blood pressure meds too
....any suggestionsi take 5 mil amlodopine & 10 linisopril 1 daily...thank you
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information.

Yes, you can safely take berberine in this situation. It does not interfere too much with serotonin metabolism. It is quite safe to take it while taking Lexapro.

Regarding your blood pressure medicine, I think it is a good combination. If your blood pressure values are most of the time below 135/85mm Hg, it means that no further changes to your actual therapy are needed and you should continue on these doses.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 minutes later
What i was asking is whether you could recommend supplements vs prescription drugs for the lowering of blood pressure...thank you for your quick responses
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I am sorry, because I misunderstood your question.

Unfortunately there is not such supplement proven to be as effective as your actual anti-hypertensive therapy (and you are actually taking two anti-hypertensive drugs).

I would like to explain that supplements are not as effective as antihypertensive therapy.

In the first stages of high blood pressure there are some natural ways to lower your blood pressure:

1- reduce salt and caffeine intake
2- perform a lot of physical activity (walking, aerobics, recreational sports, etc.)
3- lose some pounds if you are overweight
4- try some foods which can lower your blood pressure naturally (garlic, lemon juice, Pomegranate, etc.)
5- increase potassium in your diet (potassium can help you normalize your blood pressure). Fruits rich in potassium are banana and plumes.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 20 minutes later
Thank you.....
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri