Does Benadryl interact with Metoprolol, Simvastatin, Eliquis and Melatonin?

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I currently take metoprolol, simvastatin, eliquis and melatonin before retiring is it safe for me to take 25mg Benadryl? XXXXXXX XXXX

Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be taken with the mentioned medicine . May cause sleepiness

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
I am Dr. Mody and I would be addressing your concern.
Benadryl 25 mg with your heart medication should not be a problem .
My only concern is that both benadryl 25 mg and melatonin would cause sleep , particularly at 81 years that can be a stronger combination . Also the action of benadryl is longer nearly 16 hours , so in the morning you may wake up clumsy .
So if your intention of taking benadryl is to get sleep that it's fine ( though benadryl is not intended to get sleep and no doctor would prescribe you for the same as there are far other safer single drugs for inducing sleep ) .
Another important aspect particularly for you is urinary retention which can happen with benadryl particularly at 81 years age because of prostate enlargement at this age .
Apart from the above benadryl should not be a problem if taken once a while .
Regards Dr Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana