Does Bactrim DS interact with birth control pills?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Does bactrim ds affect bc pill? I took it in the last 3 days of my active pills and then the first 4 or 5 days during inactive pills (I had my period on day 4 of inactive pills). how long is back up recommended? I have been off pill one week and took 5 active pills.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it can make pills less effective

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Antibiotics like BactrimDS can make birth control pills less effective. The best advice is to us back up while you are taking the bactrim and then for one week after you have stopped it.
At that time the birth control will be working again and you should be safe.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 19 minutes later
thank you. would i be covered? it is 7 days after my last dose but only after 5 active pills.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, you would be covered

Detailed Answer:
Yes, as long as you used back up for 7 days after you stopped the bactrim you should be protected
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 10 minutes later
thank you
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Best wishes to you
DR. Robinson