Does B12 vitamins gives false positive on a pregnancy test?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Will b12 vitamins give me a false positive on a pregnancy test I took a first response test and it came back positive and 5 one step test that came back negative I have been having brown discharge and spotting and my period is 3 weeks late so I went to hospital and got a urine pregnancy test done that came back negative she said I could be testing to early that I may have got lucky to get that 1 positive so I'm wondering if the b12 cause me to get that one positive or if I'm pregnant
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
False positive

Detailed Answer:

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) There is no way Vitamin B 12 would have lead to false positive pregnancy test.

2) False positive pregnancy test is common as this test has known levels of false positivity.

3) Other 2 tests are negative means you are not pregnant.

4) If you still wish to confirm please get serum beta hCG blood test to confirm the pregnancy.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol