• question-icon

Does Avastin cause necrosis of the hip?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Does avastin cause necrosis of the hip? I was told yesterday that I have signs of it after 11 treatments. My email is YYYY@YYYY
I receive avastin for schwannomas t/o my body that are in bad places but surgery is not indicatED.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not a known side effect

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Avastin is not known to directly cause this effect though there are other possible side effects can occur.

Necrosis of the hip can occur due to different causes including interruption of the blood supply to an area. Avastin can sometimes cause blockage of blood vessels, that effect can occur in approximately 3 to 4 % of persons who use this medications.
If there was any blockage of blood supply to the hip but that is rare.

Necrosis can occur in different settings such as: (1)persons who are required to use steroids are at risk
(2)excess alcohol use
(3)injury to the joint
(4)blood clot as mentioned

Your doctors may want to see if the cause can be determined by further imaging of the hip, an MRI may be indicated if not already done

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Thank you for your answer. You say steroids may cause necrosis. I was on steroids for about 2 months because of uncontrollable pain in my leg and hip. I got the moon face effect from the steroids. Could the steroids possibly started the hip necrosis? I just want to stop it and also remain pain free. My doctors are from Johns XXXXXXX Hospital and are very renowned. I have faith in them, and I just want to stay pain free and out of surgery.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may have contributed

Detailed Answer:
HI

I can completely understand the desire to remain pain free, I don't do pain either. I am also glad that you have complete faith in your doctors, that is great

Yes, steroids are listed as possible cause of necrosis so they may have been a contributing factor.

Please feel free to ask anything else
Dr. Michelle Gibson James