Does Atenolol affect lipid profile test results?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: Will taking atenolol
or other beta-blockers show up in lipid panel, urinalysis, or urine drug test? Will it generate any false positives?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that taking beta blockers does not interfere with these tests.

It does not cause false positive or false negative blood or urine lab tests.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 minutes later
Is the detection of beta-blockers something that requires a special test? I have a physical that I must pass for work but my blood pressure tends to go sky high when having it taken here, so high that last time they almost refused to pass me. My regular doctor has said he could prescribe me an atenolol to help lower my blood pressure and heart rate as both are normal when I visit him. I am in great health, running 4-5 miles a day, the anxiety of the physical drives up my bp.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information.

Your symptoms are related to "White coat syndrome" which means that your blood pressure raises up when consulting with the doctor. This is related to the anxiety from the doctor consult.

I agree with your doctor that a betablocker can help avoiding this clinical situation. But instead of atenolol, I would recommend taking propranolol, as it acts better in this clinical condition.

It does not interfere with your other tests.

Another treatment option to consider would be alprazolam, which is an anxiolytic. But as it is a benzodiazepine, it will show up in your urine tests.

So propranolol would be the best treatment options in your case.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri