Does Asprin effect the sperm quality?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Should I have any concern about taking a low dose (81mg) aspirin on a daily basis prior to providing sperm for an IVF cycle?
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aspirin willnot have any adverse effect.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been taking Aspirin since a long time and needs to provide semen for IVF..

Please note that Aspirin is a blood thinner and has no action on sperm production (Spermatogenesis) hence will not have any adverse side effect as far as sperm count ,morphology or motility of sperm is concerned.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Does Asprin effect the sperm quality? 46 minutes later
I've attached a couple articles I found online that seem to suggest that aspirin may have an effect on sperm. One article indicates that sperm head mutations have been observed in laboratory animals. The other article reports a decrease in sperm quality among young men who consumed moderate amounts of aspirin (> or = to 500 mg/week). Taking a 81 mg low dose aspirin every day would be 567 mg plus any aspirin that might be consumed as a pain reliever.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No trial on human being is conducted.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
I have not heard of such drug trial has been reported to be conducted on human being.

Please discuss this with your infertility specialist.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.