Does Apo-Triazide cause anemia?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Greetings Dr. Madhyastha,

Doctors and I are still stuck in no man’s land in regards to my blood count problem. The story is thus my husband I returned from Bermuda in early December 2015. I had severe back pain and was exceptionally tired. I went to my GP which resulted in pain medication. XXXXXXX 2nd I had a blood test done and by midnight that night the phone rang with the message to go to the hospital immediately because my blood count was 39. I stayed in hospital for almost two days for blood transfusions. From then on I had one test after another but nothing was discovered. Since the 1990’s I’ve had Meniere’s Disease so the doctors suspected Apo-triazide 50/25 (out of three medications,Serc, Teva-Lorazepam) was the source for lostof blood. Being removed from Meniere’s medication was not the answer so I’m back on Apo-triazide and continued with more tests, the last being a MRI. Yesterday I had another blood test but the results will be on Monday. Since I haven’t been notified re loss of blood I hope all is well. Wednesday my husband and I leave for vacation on a Viking cruise and needless to say I’m taking all my medication. I’m 78 and have travelled a great deal as well as working on three continents so who knows what I might have come in contact with through the years. Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anemia

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query and its nice to hear from you again. Like I mentioned in the previous post I do not think Apo triazide is the cause for your anemia and just going on giving blood transfusion is definitely not the answer to the problem

Did you get to do the blood test I had asked in my previous post?
Did your doctor mention why there could be such severe anemia? Please attach the reports if you can

I am happy you are going an another vacation. Please make sure to visit your doctor before you leave

I am awaiting your reply

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 days later
Dr. Madhyastha,

The doctors still have no idea why I have a blood problem. They have final allowed m to continue to take all my Menier’s medication. As of yesterday my blood count is 123 which I trust will remain at that level.

Thanks for you help.
XXXXXXX XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for getting back. Make sure to eat food rich in iron like green leafy vegetables, liver, dates, etc to maintain good hemoglobin, I recommend testing once a month until your hemoglobin stabilizes. Avoid alcohol until you are better

Please get back to me anytime you need an opinion

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar