question-icon

Does Amiodarone interact with Carvedilol?

Posted on Wed, 20 Jul 2016
Question: Hi Dr. Rynne,
I am going to have a triple bypass due to 3 clogged arteries in the front lower chamber of my heart (90%) according my DR. I also have a slight amount of damage from diabetic retinopathy. I was prescribed amiodarone 200mg and I am on day 8 of the taking this medication. I am also taking carvedilol which originally my cardiologist had prescribed 25mg 2 x day. This dosage was making me very dizzy and lethargic so I told my primary Dr and he advised that i lower the dose to 25m a day, 1/2 in the a.m. and 1/2 p.m. This helped with the side effect that the carvedilol was causing but the amiodarone has started casusing gastric issues, nausea, vomiting diarrhea and on day 6 of taking it, i had a large amount of blood in my stool and on my nightgown. I was reading the list of side effects for amiodarone and it also says that this drug can cause blindness. Carvedilol is also listed as a drug that should not be used in combination with amiodarone except in special cases.

I was scheduled for an angioplasty on XXXXXXX 10th and that is when they discovered the blockage was so severe. I'm sorry if I am jumping all over the place but I am very confused and not satisfied with the Dr. that has been assigned to perform my procedure. (triple-bypass) He walked into the room and asked me "what can I do for you?". I expected that he would explain the procedure to me and I would be able to ask questions along with way. He also let me know I could google any questions that I had after the visit. I don't want to over react to this but it is major surgery and I have avoided going online for that very reason. I want to feel positive that the team of Doctors that will have my heart in their hands are capable. At this rate I am having serious doubts.
Thank you for your time.
Chantel H.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu (47 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

First of all Amiodaron and carvedilol may be used together to prevent life threatening arrhythmias which are very common in patients who needs bypass surgery.

As you have read it may be used together in special occasions and bypass surgery is a special occasion.

Secondly you should discuss with your doctor about everything openly and all your doubts should be gone away after that. If your doubts and thoughts will persist I would recommend to ask a second opinion from another doctor on the same hospital.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
p.s: Ifyou have more questions, pleasedon't hesitate to ask me again.
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist