Does Amaryl help control blood sugar levels?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I am trying to find out if Amaryl is effective for diabetes as I WILL NOT take (MY brain is fogged up) the normally prescribed medicine (which I just can't remember)
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
about Diabetes treatment;

Detailed Answer:
I have gone carefully through your concern.
To judge better about the glucose value of the last months and the efficiency of the treatment, HbA1c level would help.If HbA1c is under 6.5% it means that the treatment is effective.
Amaryl, can be an alternative of treatment, especially if he is not obese or overweight, but be careful because it may cause hypoglycemia.
If you are overweight it will not help a lot, because in these cases the resistance of insulin is responsible for the high blood sugar, not the pancreas secretion. Amaryl stimulates the pancreas secretion.
Hope the information will be helpful.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D