• question-icon

Does Allopurinol help control hypertension?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have just been prescribed Allopurinol 100 mg

Does this med tend to alter blood pressure, as I have trouble keeping my blood pressure down and take several meds for that. I looked at the internet possible side effects and are there any you would be particularly watchful for ?

Thank You,
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Discussion folllows

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Allopurinol is the treatment for increased blood uric acid. It is not a treatment for high blood pressure and unlikely to change it significantly.
How is kidney function? If there is impairment of kidney function, it can elevate uric acid. It can also be a cause for high blood pressure.
If you can get an ambulatory blood pressure monitoring done, it would show how your blood pressure is throughout the day and I would be able to advise on the control of blood pressure.
Allergic reactions to allopurinol is not very common but can be severe and dangerous. If there is any itching, rash or fever you should stop the medicine immediately and see the doctor.
Avoiding of red meat, organ meat like kidney and alcohol can help control blood uric acid.

Do get back to me if you have further query.

Dr. Noble Zachariah