Does Allopurinol have any interactions with spinal injection?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Will allopurinol 100 mg affect a spinal shot for degenerative arthritis. I have been taking allopurinol for 5 days. My spinal procedure is scheduled for Aug. 29th. I have a pace maker for A-fib& take blood thinners and water pills daily. I stop blood thinner 3 days before spinal injection & 81 mg aspirin 7 days before.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX

Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..
How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

I would like to tell you that allopurinol is only used for lowering serum uric acid levels in normal settings, and is not a emergency drug. It increases the washout of uric acid through kidneys. It means, there is a partial extra burden on your kidneys.

Though allopurinol has no direct relation with the spinal injection, stopping it would be beneficial during the intra operative procedure to prevent load on the kidneys.

You can start it again after 3 days of injection.You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.     

Decisions that you have made about aspirin and blood thinner stopping are absolutely right and i support it.

I hope your question has been answered.

Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )

If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng